Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Spirit of Giving

This Christmas, the de Leon family has decided that in lieu of gifts, we are going to make donations to a charity. Not only is this a fantastic idea, but it truly warms my heart. My charity of choice is the American Cancer Society in memory of my Sister. The holidays are tough at times without her here...and yes it is somewhat different than 'just any other day.' I miss how fabulous she decorated her tree. I miss surprising her with a gift. I miss her filling up my stocking with goofy presents. I miss her cooking - she made the best sweet potatoes. I miss her that much more during the holidays and even though I know it's "natural," it doesn't make it any easier. Many people have donated in her memory and I know this because every time someone does, I get a card from the American Cancer Society. It may not happen in my lifetime when the cure for cancer is found...but then again, stranger things have happened. If I can help contribute to finding that cure, then I sure will. We spend so much money on useless materialistic things - and yes, I'm guilty of it too. So, instead of spending more money on useless materialistic things, this year, we're giving hope...Hope in the form of a donation to charity that will go on to help others.

Somewhere up above, my Sissy is smiling...and providing hope in the form of an angel to all those that need it.


Me & my Sissy a month before she went Heaven - we are at my first bridal gown appointment at Priscilla of Boston. I am very thankful to have been able to share this moment with her.

No comments: