We're not talking about Gordon's version via after school circa 1985, people. We're talking about a new, revamped, healthier and tastier kind! In today's recipe file, we're talking Fishsticks 2.0.
After watching Giada make salmon fish sticks, I just knew I had to try them! I made them for lunch today and she was right - my tastebuds were dancin'! They are so easy to make and so very delish. Here's the recipe:
1 lb. of fresh salmon: ask your grocer to skin it.
Flour: 1 cup
Sea salt: 1/4 teaspoon (go to 1/2 teaspoon if you're sensitive to salt)
Pepper: 1/4 teaspoon
Bread crumbs: 1 cup; I used the italian style bread crumbs to add more taste.
3 egg whites
Grated Parmesan cheese: 3/4 cup
Olive oil: for drizzling
Preheat your oven to 450 degrees.
Take out 3 bowls. In the first bowl, separate the egg yolk from the egg whites. Once you have the egg whites from 3 eggs, beat it for 30 seconds so that it's frothy in texture.
In the second bowl, combing the flour, sea salt and pepper. Once combined, mix with a fork so that the pepper and salt are evenly distributed in the flour.
In the third bowl, combine the bread crumbs and the parmesan cheese. Once combined, mix with a fork.
Take a non-stick baking sheet and drizzle a little olive oil on it.
Take the salmon and wash it/rinse it. Pat dry on both sides with a paper towel. Cut the salmon in half (lengthwise). Then, slice the salmon in fishstick pieces about 1/4 - 1/2 of an inch. I did 1/2 inch and found it too wide - I'll be doing 1/4 of an inch next time.
Once the pieces are cut, do the following: taking one piece at a time, dip in flour and coat on all sides. Make sure remove any excess flour. Then, dip in egg whites, coating all sides. And lastly, dip in bread crumb mixture, pressing firmly into the bread crumb mixture. Take the stick and set it on your baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the pieces.
After all the pieces are on the baking sheet, drizzle lightly with olive oil on the top. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Set your timer! I baked mine for 15 minutes and they were perfect - 20 minutes may have been too much.
Serve a few pieces on a plate with a mound of ketchup (Hunts is my fave) and an ice cold Dr. Pepper. Bonus points if you can make a heart out of your ketchup like I did in the pic above! ;)
Enjoy!!
To view the recipe from the show and the dipping sauce (instead of ketchup), click here.
Note: I don't like mayonaise so I opted to use ketchup instead of the dipping sauce as seen on the episode.
...Coming soon on my next recipe post will be Mother D's easy breeze beautiful pot roast.
No comments:
Post a Comment