I made my last subway commute this morning...and boy am I sad! I was sitting there, looking at all my fellow passengers and started to get choked up. I remember my very first day going to work on the subway. I was excited and nervous all at the same time. I stepped on the train with so much confidence and took my seat, only to realize I was headed the wrong way. Oops! I remember the first time I saw a rat on the tracks and bit my tongue so I wouldn't let out a very obvious "I'm new to the city" scream. I remember being introduced to so much culture and seeing the pride people had within their heritage. There is so much diversity in NYC and it's really something you don't get in any other city. I love people watching and there's no better way to do it than on the subway. As I have learned in the past though, you have to do it discreetly because you never know who you may lock eyes with and that person just may not be in the mood.
I'm going to miss seeing everyone, myself included, listening to their iPods and reading the New York Post or AM New York. I'm even going to miss the annoying person next to me who always manages to read over my shoulder. I'm going to miss seeing students wearing quirky glasses, the clank clank of everyone typing on their blackberries, the young art gallery hopeful carrying her prized possession, the fireman on his way to save the world, the hopeful actor rehearsing for the next audition, the hipsters wearing the latest trends, the business men in their crisp suits, the camera men ready to get the next best shot, the lawyers intently reading through cases with such concentration as if they're in the library, the dreary eyed musicians on their way home from a long night and everyone else in between.
There's been so much going on lately with recovering and moving and so much more that I haven't even had 2 seconds to get sad about leaving this amazing city. Today I gave myself those 2 seconds. It's bittersweet that we are leaving, but I will say that the best lesson learned from moving up here is just that...the lessons I learned. I am a totally different person leaving New York City than when I moved here. Jim and I were talking and this city will never leave us. We will look back and have stories to share and laugh with each other about these memories. They always say if you can make it in New York, you can make it anywhere. And we completely understand what that means. Moving here was one of the best decisions that both of us have made...and leaving here will be too.
No comments:
Post a Comment