Monday, January 5, 2009

Year In Review

Thanks to Ashley for your post - it's such a great idea that I'm doing one now too!


I looked back on our 2008 calendar and my oh my have we had a busy year! We did a lot of travelling in 2007 and thought that it would calm down in 2008, but it seems like we did just as much...no complaints though because all those trips are memories in the making. I am always hesitant to say that "life is good" because I get superstitious and wonder if it's gonna come back to bite me in the arse. I also get hesitant to say that "we are blessed" because I feel like by saying, "we are blessed", it sounds like we're saying that we are moreso than others. I feel like everyone is blessed unconditionally and no one person is blessed more or better than others. Don't get me wrong, I feel God has blessed me/us in many ways, just the same as He does with everyone. I have always been weird about saying that out loud...just me I guess...I'm weird I know! I will say though, that we are very thankful for each other, everyone in our lives, our experiences and everything we have.
************************************************************************************

Jim had a great year with work. He continues to gain experience that not many receive even when they do take field assignments with Shell. It started off with a little bump 4 months into the new year though - Jim sat in contract negotiations for 18 hours one day and night. Poor guy was so exhausted. All the execs (Jim included) on one side of the table and the union leaders on the other side. After 18 hours of straight battling, nothing changed. This being said, the employees who were a part of the union went on strike a few weeks later. I did not see Jim for almost 3 days straight when all this went down. He literally did NOT sleep for the first 32 hours when the employees went on strike. I felt so bad for him! When they kicked their plan in gear, he worked 18 hour days. We barely saw each other, but we managed. I would get off work and go have dinner with him. In the end, the union lost and they crossed the picket line. It was exhausting for Jim at the time, but in the end, it paid off. He was rewarded, but most importantly, gained such valuable experience and was not only a part of a huge thing, but led it at that. Can you tell I'm a proud wife? Ha ha. He did some traveling with work, but not too much, so that was nice. Jim also got a new boss and we adore him. He even sent me flowers after the three weeks of craziness thanking me for being supportive of Jim. But, really, how could I not support my husband? He is an amazing man! I really admire Jim's work ethic and his ambition...and his other great qualities as well. :)

As usual, Jim played golf every weekend during the warm weather months. He played at least once a week, if not twice a week. He continues to play with his three golf buddies (Don, Angelo and Omar) at Bethpage on the black course. Jim also entered the Belfair Father/Son tournament with his Dad. Belfair is where his parents live in Hilton Head, SC - (It's actually Bluffton, SC). It was golf, golf and more golf for Jim and his Dad and it paid off because they won 1st place! They both received a trophy (of a Father and a Son playing golf - so cute!) and most importantly, bragging rights at the club (lol).
***********************************************************************************

As for me, I left my previous company and I couldn't be happier about that decision. I was definitely born to be a Project Manager (bossy skills a must ha ha). Even though I'm still a PM, I moved to the Media/Technology industry and the company I work for completely provides such a different experience. Working on Wall Street has been so eye opening and it is everything I really envisioned about making it in the big city. This job is a once in a lifetime opportunity and has truly made living in NYC worthwhile. I continue to attend Mass at Our Lady of Victory Church on a weekly basis and push forward in gaining that deeper relationship with the Lord. January 2008 was the year anniversary of my Sister's death and while I continue to grieve daily, I have learned how to handle it much better. Her strength is definitely instilled in me and for that, I am very thankful. I didn't run the NYC half marathon this year, but did manage to squeeze one race in - the Race for the Cure, which my Mom ran with me. Speaking of my Mom, she was able to come visit me twice this year - once in the summer and again in Thanksgiving. I also started to become more involved in the community by joining the New York Junior League (Junior League of the City). However, I can't say that I've done much, if anything at all, because my schedule got so hectic. I know that is hardly an excuse and will try harder. This year was also the year I got addicted to Broadway musicals. I've seen Miss Saigon and Madame Butterfly before, but years ago. This year, I was able to see Legally Blonde (w/my friend Jen), Young Frankenstein (w/Mom) and Phantom of the Opera (w/Jim). I hope to at least see three more this year. This was also the year of reunions! I reunited with college friends/sorority sisters which has been great, especially with my friend, Rachael. We reunited and although we missed some milestones in each others' lives, we can look forward to being there for new ones. (Jim and I will actually be taking a trip to Jacksonville next month to stay with Rachael and her husband, Chad. We are very excited!). I attended my first runway fashion show in 2008 and that was a lot of fun...and so cool to see! I realized I am also more type A than I thought. As much as I love fashion, that scene is just not for me - it's just too catty. It was still cool to see models strut down the catwalk though and I managed to make a great friend out of the experience (Kaitlin).
************************************************************************************

2008 was also the year we got Sasha! I had begged and begged Jim for a puppy and he finally caved in. He did NOT want to be the one walking her when it got cold and sure enough...he is the one doing it. Thanks, Bun!! I have to laugh (just a little), but he really does love her. We learned a lot with having her - who knew I couldn't just take her on her leash on the subway? Oops. Housebreaking her also got easier as the days passed. It was actually a lot easier than we thought! We were very persistent and now she is curbed. She has been a lot of fun and we are happy to have her.

We continued play tourist and take part in some touristy things this year, which is always a lot of fun. We went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (in hopes of finding Jim's Grandfather's record of when he came to America). That was really cool...and Ellis Island was so creepy, but offers such great history. We went to the Bronx Zoo and truly enjoyed that as well.

Surprisingly, we only went to ONE sporting event in 2008 and that was to watch the New York Rangers. Jim's dad was able to score us NBC's seats and they were absolutely awesome! The Rangers lost that game, but we had a great time.

Jim and I both did a lot of traveling this year - shocker! We took a Winter getaway to San Juan, PR in January and had a blast. It was like an extension of our honeymoon...minus the Maui part. It's always so nice to get out of the cold weather and we really soak up every minute of the warmth together. I went back to PR a month later on a very very spontaneous bachelorette party for Kristi. We literally booked our tickets on a Thursday at Noon and left Friday at 3am for the airport. We had such a blast and the fact that we just upped and did it...that in and of itself was awesome. We went to Clearwater, FL for my Mom's birthday and Christmas. We also got to visit with Jim's Uncle Tim and Aunt Yvonne while we were there since they live about 15 minutes from my Mom. We went to Hilton Head, SC to visit Jim's parents (and sister's family) over the Summer and had a great time. This was the trip the lifeguards whistled for everyone to get out of the water because there was a shark (once again proving my theory true)! We also had countless trips to Houston to visit family and friends and even stayed at The Alden before our anniversary. And last but not least, we had a great one year anniversary trip island hopping the Caribbean! On this trip, we went back to San Juan (PR) and then we were off to Aruba, Curacao, St. Maarten & St. Martin, St. Thomas and St. John. All in all, no matter how exhausting (and costly!) the traveling is, it was worth it!
************************************************************************************

Overall, we both continue to enjoy being married, working, living and playing in NYC. We really soak up all of the experiences and memories we make up here and are so thankful for this opportunity. Not many people can say they have lived in NYC, so we definitely do not take that for granted. We are very much looking forward to 2009 and again are very thankful for each day together, as well as each day we have with our family and friends.



Cheers to 2009,
J&P

No comments: