Wednesday, September 10, 2008

7 years ago...

I was in Jacksonville, Florida working when my boss came through and announced that a plane hit the WTC.

7 years later...I am not only living in the same city where the tragedy occurred, but I also work steps away from where the WTC would have stood.

I wasn't here 7 years ago and from what everyone tells me, the weather was absolutely beautiful - perfect even. The weather today is cloudy and cool. It's a very somber temperature for a somber day. There was a fire marshall standing next to me on the subway. When I got off, I had to fight my way through the media and press who were situated in front of the building next to me - with a direct view of what is now missing. As I was wrangling my way past everyone - tourists, media, press, new yorkers, I started to tear up. I just couldn't control it. The 09/11 ceremony is going on and I could hear the speech on the loud speaker. The streets are closed to cars and there are police everywhere...yet it's so quiet. Too quiet. You can almost hear the wind. I think that's what got to me - here I am fighting my way through so many people and it's only a ceremony. I can't imagine what it was like 7 years ago - fighting your way through people to get away. I see all these people and yet you can almost hear a pin drop. The normal sounds of downtown Manhattan are gone today.

I would've taken a picture but I realized I left my blackberry at home - and perhaps it's best. Maybe this isn't something that people want to relive. I wasn't here 7 years ago, but I'm here now. My sadness can't compare to those who lived through that day and my heart and prayers go out to all of those who feel this way today.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I can't imagine being in NYC today. I can hardly watch the news coverage without wanting to cry. I'm glad to see that they are still remembering the victims. Hopefully you'll have a better day tomorrow. :)

Ashley