Monday, February 8, 2010

Ch-Ch-Ch-China!


When J and I were registering for our wedding gifts, we didn't register for China. Besides the fact that we had no space to put it in, we were also so thrilled to learn that J's Aunt C would be handing down the DL family china to us. Wow!! Aunt C was able to give it to us during Christmas when we all met in Belfair. We unpacked it when we got home and I immediately had tears in my eyes. Not only is the china absolutely beautiful, but the sentiment behind it is irreplaceable. The family heirloom has been around for generations and we are so honored to keep the tradition going. J's family has so much history and stories I could listen to for hours, with relatives coming through Ellis Island in NYC and even being one time owners of the Fulton Fish Market in Manhattan. Anyway, below are pics of the china. The pattern only gets more beautiful with age and the china is actually original Limoge China. If you know your antiques, Limoge China was made in France starting in the late 1700's and production stopped in the 1930's. Limoge China is sought after by collectors world wide and we are so grateful for not only the china itself, but the thoughtfulness and meaning behind the gesture of being the ones to carry on the tradition. Pretty cool, huh?

I haven't found a china cabinet or buffet worthy enough to house it yet, but hopefully soon. For now, the china's safely put away in the cabinets we currently don't use. Here's what it looked like when we unpacked and hand cleaned everything one by one!


Closeup of the pattern -I looove it!

The Limoge stamp on the back of the plates - wow!

Another close up of the pattern (this time, on the bowls).

2 comments:

Courteney Miller said...

How special is that! and ooooh, I love that pattern! Love the green!!!

The de Leons said...

thanks, coco! it's very special...i hope you use it soon, but now i'm afraid of accidentally breaking something! ;)