Tuesday, June 17, 2008
NY: The City That Never...Complains?
Apparently NY'ers aka New Yorkers have run out of things to complain about. Since today is Tuesday, I happily opened my mailbox to find our weekly magazine subscription of New York Magazine. (BTW, thanks to Uncle Tim and Aunt Yvonne for renewing this for us because we absolutely love it!) Anyway, apparently an article written in last week's edition sparked more than necessary comments regarding "scooping." Scooping is taking the middle out of a bagel and filling it with something else - fruit, cream cheese, egg...you name it, they fill it. While this may not seem like such a big deal to some people - and by some people I mean anyone living outside of NYC - it is a huge deal for NY'ers. For NY'ers, bagels are a right of passage. You officially become a NY'er when your bagel addiction has kicked in...or when the site of a NYC rat doesn't make you flinch anymore - whichever comes first...and hopefully the bagel and rat aren't in the same scenario. NY'ers love, and I mean love their bagels! And hearing this new trend of scooping out the inside of a bagel is like turning off the lights on Times Square. It's just not the same! Look, I'm all for eating healthier. And I'm also all for eating a bagel the way it should be eaten - no scooping, no egg, no fruit - toasted with cream cheese only, thanks. But what I'm not into is hearing the outrage that scooping has started. Order your bagel the way you want it! Options really are a great thing! As great of a City New York is, surely we can find something to complain about rather than being annoyed because we stood in line for an extra 30 seconds at our local deli (or Dunkin Donuts) because someone asked for a scooped bagel. I mean, is it just me or does anyone else smell that awful stench in the tunnel that leads you to the A, C, E trains from the 42nd Street/Times Square subway station?!? Every single day I pass through this tunnel I want to gag! And I even look around to see if anyone else is making the same face and I see nothing! What am I? A hound dog? IT SMELLS HORRIBLE and I know I'm not the only one that can smell it! Or what about - why on the hottest day of the summer do all the trains have to be delayed - which leaves you standing in the underground sauna otherwise known as the subway station ( anxiously waiting for any sight of the train lights coming closer) for what seems like an eternity, sweating and completely making you second guess your own freshness?! See? There are so many more things to complain about other than scooping. And once you finally do find yourself complaining more and more...and more and more...well, then you have become exactly what you didn't think you would become...a New Yorker - who loves bagels.
No comments:
Post a Comment